Most Active Stories
- Idaho Governor Isn't Worried About How History Will View His Fight Against Gay Marriage
- See What Your Idaho Zip Code Tells Marketers About You
- In Latest Campaign Gaffe, Ybarra's Degrees In Question
- Idaho Schools Chief Candidate Ybarra Hasn't Voted Since 1996
- Idaho Wedding Chapel That Refuses To Marry Gays Sets Off Conservative Alarm Bells
Fri August 29, 2014
Former Oregon Governor Vic Atiyeh To Be Remembered At Capitol
Former Oregon Governor Vic Atiyeh will be remembered at the Oregon state Capitol on September 3.
A public service will include family members and former colleagues of the governor, who died in July at the age of 91.
Atiyeh served two terms as governor in the late ‘70s and ‘80s. He was known as a moderate Republican who guided his state through a severe economic downturn and established international trading ties in the Pacific Rim that exist to this day.
The service will feature six speakers including former Oregon Governor Barbara Roberts, a Democrat, and current Congressman Greg Walden, a Republican.
Atiyeh said before his death that he wanted the event to be upbeat and include a lot of his favorite music. His family held a private burial service shortly after the governor's death on July 20 from kidney failure.