Most Active Stories
- Grizzly Bear That Traveled 5,000 Miles Across Idaho, Montana Is A Mystery To Biologists
- Idaho Paraglider Could Be National Geographic's Adventurer Of The Year
- Data Points To Early Signs Of An Ada County Housing Bubble
- TV On The Radio To Headline Boise's Treefort Music Fest, Ticket Prices Increase
- Why Idaho Has Largest Share Of Unauthorized Immigrants Impacted By Obama Action
Wed January 16, 2013
Idaho Lawmaker Compares Abortion And Prostitution
BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A lawmaker from northern Idaho drew audible gasps when he asked representatives from the American Civil Liberties Union-Idaho if their pro-abortion rights stance also means that they support prostitution.
Rep. Ron Mendive, R-Coeur d'Alene, made the comparison Wednesday morning during a legislative breakfast presentation held by the ACLU on criminal justice reform and other issues.
Mendive asked the organization's executive director, Monica Hopkins, if she felt the ALCU should support prostitution since it supports a woman's right to choose abortion. Mendive then said that prostitution is also "a woman's choice."
Hopkins said a woman's right to reproductive health care is constitutionally protected, while prostitution is illegal. She also reminded Mendive that prostitution is not always a choice, noting that legislation targeting human trafficking may be presented during the legislative session.