Most Active Stories
- Incredible Post-Avalanche Photo Shows What It Will Take To Clear Idaho's Highway 21
- Idaho Students Make Last-Ditch Effort To Kill Guns-On-Campus Bill
- Latest Snowpack Map Shows Continued Improvement In Idaho's Water Supply
- Idaho Gov. Butch Otter Signs Guns On Campus Bill
- Farmers Upstream Of Wanapum Dam Can't Reach Columbia For Irrigation
Tue June 12, 2012
Idaho Pulls Back Curtain On Execution
The state of Idaho today executed convicted murderer Richard Leavitt. His death comes just seven months after the execution of Paul Ezra Rhoades.
Idaho Department of Correction director Brent Reinke says the agency was "battle tested" in carrying out this procedure. “I think the prepare time was a little bit less because November wasn’t that long ago, so I think that helped us from a preparation standpoint with staff.”
Before today, part of the execution procedure was done behind closed doors, out of view of media witnesses. But a lawsuit pressed by the media and a 9th Circuit Court order changed that. Associated Press Reporter Rebecca Boone witnessed both executions. She says the biggest difference with today's execution was the level of access...