Most Active Stories
- Quiz: Do You Know The Difference Between Idaho And Iowa?
- Idahoans And Iowans Join Forces To End State Mix-Up
- Idaho's Eccentric Political Candidate Harley Brown Gets Reality TV Deal
- Four Simple Notes Captured Listeners Across Centuries
- Study: Fungus Found In Chobani Yogurt More Dangerous Than First Reported
Fri August 16, 2013
Idaho's Jobless Rate Continues To Climb
Idaho's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate ticked up two-tenths of a percentage point in July to 6.6 percent. The Idaho Labor Department reports this is the third-straight month the jobless rate has increased.
Total employment was down by 800 jobs, falling to 723,100. That's the lowest total employment figure reported since Oct. 2012.
A slight dip in typical employer hiring in nearly all sectors during July aggravated the moderate increase in the number of people looking for work, causing the second straight two-tenths percentage point increase in the jobless rate. The rate was 7.2 percent a year earlier. - Idaho Dept. of Labor
Labor Department analysts believe employers are still leery of adding new jobs. Still, 23,500 Idahoans were hired in July, but they were largely to fill vacancies.
The U.S. jobless rate ticked down in July to 7.4 percent.