Most Active Stories
- Grizzly Bear That Traveled 5,000 Miles Across Idaho, Montana Is A Mystery To Biologists
- Data Points To Early Signs Of An Ada County Housing Bubble
- Idaho Paraglider Could Be National Geographic's Adventurer Of The Year
- Why Idaho Has Largest Share Of Unauthorized Immigrants Impacted By Obama Action
- TV On The Radio To Headline Boise's Treefort Music Fest, Ticket Prices Increase
Tiny Desk Concerts
Mon April 23, 2012
Jolie Holland: Tiny Desk Concert
It'll take just a few seconds to find out if you're likely to fall in love with Jolie Holland. That's what happened to me about eight years ago: Holland was a founding member of The Be Good Tanyas, and I've been listening faithfully to the Texas-born, Brooklyn-based singer ever since. It's the yearning in her voice that gets me: I've heard it most poignantly in Billie Holiday, and it's such an honest expression of pain and want.
In this intimate performance at the NPR Music offices, Holland closes with a special, unrecorded song called "First Sign of Spring." The other tunes — "Tender Mirror" and "The Devil's Sake" — are from her sixth album, 2011's Pint of Blood. There's rocky grit in that record that you won't hear in this acoustic performance, but the unadorned tone just makes her lyrics and voice all the more touching.
- "Tender Mirror"
- "The Devil's Sake"
- "First Sign of Spring"
Producer and Editor: Bob Boilen; Videographer: Michael Katzif; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; photo by Mallory Benedict/NPR