Most Active Stories
- Grizzly Bear That Traveled 5,000 Miles Across Idaho, Montana Is A Mystery To Biologists
- Idaho Paraglider Could Be National Geographic's Adventurer Of The Year
- Data Points To Early Signs Of An Ada County Housing Bubble
- TV On The Radio To Headline Boise's Treefort Music Fest, Ticket Prices Increase
- Why Idaho Has Largest Share Of Unauthorized Immigrants Impacted By Obama Action
Thu July 3, 2014
Legal Pot Prices May Be High To Start
Marijuana users may pay some high prices to get high when Washington state’s legal pot market launches next week . The initial price-per-gram could be nearly double what medical marijuana card-holders pay.
Generally speaking, medical marijuana goes for $10 to $15 per gram -- about two quarter-sized nuggets -- in Washington. But recreational users who want to buy legally at Washington’s new pot stores may pay double that -- at least initially.
James Lathrop plans to open the first recreational marijuana store in Seattle. He said, expect to pay $20 a gram, taxes included.
“Many people have complained about that," Lathrop said. "In reality, I mean we’re talking a twenty. I think that’s great. You spend $20 on a bottle of wine.”
Prices are expected to come down as more stores open and the legal supply becomes more plentiful.
Earlier this year, Washington lawmakers considered rolling the state’s existing medical marijuana marketplace into the new recreational one. But that didn’t pass. The idea is expected to return in the next legislative session.