Most Active Stories
- Earthquake Swarm Continues To Shake Central Idaho
- Free Copies Of Controversial Sherman Alexie Novel Available To Meridian Students
- A Landslide Buried Boise In Mud 55 Years Ago, Scientists Say It Could Happen Again
- How Boise's 1959 Mudslide Led To Lasting Protections For City's Foothills
- Idaho Town Residents Want Mayor, Council Booted After Police Officer Kills Dog
Tue March 19, 2013
Mapping Food Insecurity And Food Stamp Use In Idaho
In January, 231,647 people in Idaho were on food stamps. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, helps low-income families. But in Idaho, 17 percent of people are food insecure. The hunger relief charity Feeding America says they don’t have access to enough food for an active, healthy life.
Click on a county to find out how many people are on food stamps, and how many are food insecure.
Source: Idaho Dept. of Health and Welfare | Feeding America "Map The Meal Gap"
| Map: Emilie Ritter Saunders | Download the data
The Idaho Food Stamp county participation rates are from the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare for January of 2013.
Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap's food insecurity rates are determined using data from the 2001-2010 Current Population Survey on individuals in food insecure households; data from the 2010 American Community Survey on median household incomes, poverty rates, and race and ethnic demographics; and 2010 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics on unemployment rates.
Hunger In Idaho