Most Active Stories
- Grizzly Bear That Traveled 5,000 Miles Across Idaho, Montana Is A Mystery To Biologists
- Data Points To Early Signs Of An Ada County Housing Bubble
- Idaho Paraglider Could Be National Geographic's Adventurer Of The Year
- Why Idaho Has Largest Share Of Unauthorized Immigrants Impacted By Obama Action
- TV On The Radio To Headline Boise's Treefort Music Fest, Ticket Prices Increase
Thu May 17, 2012
Memorial Service Planned for Slain UI Football Player
The memorial service for University of Idaho football player Ken McRoyal is next Wednesday in Carson, California. McRoyal was shot to death last weekend in the Lincoln Heights section of Los Angeles.
To hear Idaho head football coach Robb Akey talk about Ken McRoyal is to hear a story of a challenging young life turning around. Akey told the UI Argonaut newspaper Monday that McRoyal had been making changes in his life, that he had overcome the adversity of being relocated because of Hurricane Katrina and that he had won a scholarship on the Vandal football team. “Things hadn’t come easily. He had to go to junior college to get his academic situation taken care of. Got that done. Getting his academic situation stronger here. He got his on the field situation stronger this spring, and earned himself an opportunity to be our starter at Slot, earned himself the opportunity to be able to pick up a scholarship.”
As friends, family, and teammates mourn, police are still investigating the circumstances which led to the shooting death of the twenty-two year old college student.
Copyright 2012 Northwest Public Radio