Most Active Stories
- Report: More Idaho Children Live In Poverty, Education Outcomes Slide
- Meet The Cast Of Disney’s ‘Planes: Fire & Rescue’ And Their Real Life Idaho Counterparts
- Quiz: Do You Know The Difference Between Idaho And Iowa?
- Study: Fungus Found In Chobani Yogurt More Dangerous Than First Reported
- Gov. Otter Didn't Know 8 Immigrant Children Have Been Sent To Idaho In Border Surge
Thu May 17, 2012
Memorial Service Planned for Slain UI Football Player
The memorial service for University of Idaho football player Ken McRoyal is next Wednesday in Carson, California. McRoyal was shot to death last weekend in the Lincoln Heights section of Los Angeles.
To hear Idaho head football coach Robb Akey talk about Ken McRoyal is to hear a story of a challenging young life turning around. Akey told the UI Argonaut newspaper Monday that McRoyal had been making changes in his life, that he had overcome the adversity of being relocated because of Hurricane Katrina and that he had won a scholarship on the Vandal football team. “Things hadn’t come easily. He had to go to junior college to get his academic situation taken care of. Got that done. Getting his academic situation stronger here. He got his on the field situation stronger this spring, and earned himself an opportunity to be our starter at Slot, earned himself the opportunity to be able to pick up a scholarship.”
As friends, family, and teammates mourn, police are still investigating the circumstances which led to the shooting death of the twenty-two year old college student.
Copyright 2012 Northwest Public Radio