Most Active Stories
- Grizzly Bear That Traveled 5,000 Miles Across Idaho, Montana Is A Mystery To Biologists
- Idaho Paraglider Could Be National Geographic's Adventurer Of The Year
- Why Idaho Is One Of The Most Generous States
- Data Points To Early Signs Of An Ada County Housing Bubble
- At Least A Quarter Of Men Report Not Working In 9 Idaho Counties
Fri April 25, 2014
Turns Out, Idaho Is A Really Good Place For 'Nerds'
Idaho is a good place to be if you're into science fiction, comic books, and LARP-ing (that's live-action role playing). A lighthearted post from the blog Estately, and picked up by CNET, shows Idaho is the fourth 'nerdiest' (their word, not ours) state in the country.
According to the Facebook data collected by Estately, Idaho has a lot of live-action role players and "Harry Potter" fans. There's even an anime convention happening next month in Boise.
Estately came up with its rankings by crunching Facebook users' interests. It calculated the percentage of users who listed these 12 things as personal interests, and then weighted the data on a per capita basis.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Harry Potter
- Star Wars
- Anime Movies
- Dungeons & Dragons
- LARPing (Live Action Role-Playing)
- Doctor Who
- Fantasy Lit
- Lord of the Rings
- Magic: The Gathering
- Comic Books
It turns out, the western U.S. is a hot spot for people who enjoy such things (as defined by the 12 interest areas). The only three places that might be 'nerdier' than Idaho are Utah, Alaska and Wyoming.
See the full ranking here.
Copyright 2014 Boise State Public Radio