Most Active Stories
- Report: More Idaho Children Live In Poverty, Education Outcomes Slide
- Quiz: Do You Know The Difference Between Idaho And Iowa?
- Meet The Cast Of Disney’s ‘Planes: Fire & Rescue’ And Their Real Life Idaho Counterparts
- Gov. Otter Didn't Know 8 Immigrant Children Have Been Sent To Idaho In Border Surge
- Fire Managers Nearing Containment On Most Lightning-Caused Wildfires North Of Boise
Mon May 7, 2012
U of I: We Want an FBS Team
The University of Idaho is reevaluating its options in football, with the emphasis on staying in Division 1 and protecting its Football Bowl Subdivision status. The statement from University of Idaho Athletic Director Rob Spear came following announcements from colleges last week that make the future of the Western Athletic Conference unclear.
“First, we will continue to pursue all- sport membership in an FBS conference," Spear said. "Second, we will evaluate the possibility of placing football in a separate conference while working with existing WAC membership on rebuilding the league as a non-football conference. Third, we’ll evaluate looking at independent status in football with all-sport membership in a conference. And, we will review the feasibility of FCS football and its long-term vision and how it may evolve if future restructuring occurs.”
The UI did approach the Mountain West Conference about membership in that conference, but was denied. The Western Athletic Conference, where the UI now resides, has been hit by the defections of several schools in recent days.
Copyright 2012 Northwest Public Radio