Most Active Stories
- Grizzly Bear That Traveled 5,000 Miles Across Idaho, Montana Is A Mystery To Biologists
- Idaho Paraglider Could Be National Geographic's Adventurer Of The Year
- Data Points To Early Signs Of An Ada County Housing Bubble
- TV On The Radio To Headline Boise's Treefort Music Fest, Ticket Prices Increase
- Why Idaho Has Largest Share Of Unauthorized Immigrants Impacted By Obama Action
Fri November 1, 2013
Watch: Boise Sportscaster Gets International Attention For His 'Anchorman' Spoof
A Boise, Idaho TV station is getting international attention today after its sports director Paul Gerke delivered an entire segment as Anchorman's Ron Burgundy.
Gerke says the idea was as simple has him wanting a Halloween costume that would be acceptable to wear on television. He didn't let KIVI management in on his plan before the 10:00 p.m. broadcast. "Initially I was terrified," says Gerke. "I didn’t come to work with the intention of losing my job."
But, it worked out. Gerke's job is secure and managers at the TV station went along with the joke.
The spoof started getting attention just minutes after his segment wrapped up. Before 11:00 p.m. Halloween night Deadspin had gotten word, and has made Gerke today's Internet sensation.
Gerke saw Deadspin's post right as he left work last night. "I did a double take, I went nuts – I went running through the building,” he says.
Still, he figures the buzz will die down by the weekend. "I do know internet fame is fleeting."
The response to Gerke's schtick has been mostly positive. Although he says a couple of regular viewers suggested he "stick to sports."
Plus, says Gerke, "My mom is freaking out right now."
'Anchorman' came out in 2004 and a sequel is set to hit theaters next month. In case you haven't seen Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy in 'Anchorman', here's a little frame of reference.