Most Active Stories
- How Do You Say That? 10 Idaho Places Only Idahoans Know How To Pronounce
- How Do You Say That? 9 (More) Idaho Place Names Only Idahoans Can Pronounce
- Special Idaho Court A Model In Fight Against Domestic Violence
- This 1,000 Foot Waterslide Could Be Coming To A Boise Street Near You
- New Book Reveals Secrets Of Boise's Old Pen Through Photos
Tue December 17, 2013
Wildlife Managers Hire Hunter To Kill Two Central Idaho Wolf Packs
State wildlife officials have hired a hunter to eliminate two wolf packs in a federal wilderness area in central Idaho because officials say they are eating too many elk calves.
Fish and Game Bureau Chief Jeff Gould tells the Idaho Statesman that hunters are having a difficult time getting into the Frank Church-River of No Return wilderness, so the agency hired hunter-trapper Gus Thoreson of Salmon to kill the wolves in the Golden and Monumental packs.
The U.S. Forest Service allowed the state agency to use an airstrip and cabin in the Payette National Forest as a base.
Fish and Game paid $22,500 for aerial killing of 14 wolves in the Lolo area in 2012. Gould said Monday he didn't know how much the agency would end up paying for Thoreson's salary and expenses.