Most Active Stories
- Quiz: Do You Know The Difference Between Idaho And Iowa?
- Idahoans And Iowans Join Forces To End State Mix-Up
- Extremists Leave A Violent Message In A Small Iraqi Town
- Update: Idaho's Whiskey Complex Wildfire Closes Sections Of Boise County
- Idaho's Eccentric Political Candidate Harley Brown Gets Reality TV Deal
Fri May 31, 2013
Zoo Boise Butterfly Exhibit Opens Saturday
Zoo Boise is opening its Butterflies in Bloom Exhibit Saturday. You can walk through a greenhouse-like mesh enclosure with hundreds of butterflies. Zoo Boise Director Steve Burns says the butterflies come from Costa Rica. “It gives the farmers in that area the opportunity to make money off of the forests rather than have to cut it down and ranch it so it’s a great way for those folks to keep the rainforests intact and still make money for their families.”
Butterfly cocoons of many different kinds are shipped Fed Ex from Costa Rica to Boise, where they hatch at the Zoo. There are up to 500 butterflies in the enclosure at any given time.
Copyright 2013 Boise State Public Radio