Pocatello

The Pocatello wildfire that destroyed 66 homes and caused the evacuation of more than 1,000 people last week has been contained. 

Crews began fighting the fire last Thursday.  They had it contained by Monday morning. 

Lieutenant Paul Manning of the Pocatello Police Department says today will be the last day fire crews work the scene, but they’ll continue to limit access to the area.  “We’re keeping the area secure, meaning that all the residents can only enter the area with proof of residency,” says Manning. 

Pocatello Fire Now 50 Percent Contained

Jun 30, 2012
Bill Volk / BLM, Pocatello office

Update (12:50 PM Saturday)  Officials in Pocatello said Saturday the Charlotte fire that’s burned more than 60 homes is now 50-percent contained.  They hope to have the fire fully contained Sunday.

According to TV station KPVI, police are providing escorts for those evacuated residents who wish to visit their homes.  That will last until 5 PM Saturday.  No escorts are planned for Sunday.  Authorities say it will likely be Monday before evacuated residents are allowed to return to their homes for good.

Pages