Most Active Stories
- Idaho Governor Isn't Worried About How History Will View His Fight Against Gay Marriage
- Idaho Schools Chief Candidate Ybarra Hasn't Voted Since 1996
- Live Blog: Making History, Same-Sex Couples Marry In Idaho
- Listen To Boise's Gay Marriage Celebration In 60 Seconds
- 3 Effects Of Legalizing Gay Marriage In Idaho (Besides Gay Marriage)
The Road To Red: How One Political Party Came To Dominate Idaho
The Republican Party has dominated Idaho politics for most of its history. In fact, it's one of the reddest states in the country. But it hasn't always been that way.
Twenty years ago, Idaho had a Democratic governor. More recently, Idaho had a Democrat in Congress. Today, Republicans hold each of Idaho's top statewide elected offices, and a wide majority in the Legislature.
So, how did Republicans get to be so firmly in control of Idaho politics today? We examine the events and issues that led to one-party control of Idaho.